The Wright Monument features the 1905 Wright Flyer III. The 1905 flyer is on the monument and not the 1903, because the 1905 was the world's first controllable and practical airplane. On October 5, 1905, Wilbur Wright flew 24 miles in 39.5 minutes in front of a small group at Huffman Prairie, in Dayton, Ohio. Wilbur landed only when the flyer was out of gas. This flight was longer than the total duration of all the 1903 and 1904 flights combined. The 1905 Wright Flyer III was the first flying machine capable of taking off and flying through the air under its own power; rising, descending, and turning in any direction under the contol of a pilot; and landing - without crashing - in any appropriate location. The actual 1905 flyer was restored, from 1947 to 1950, with the help of Orville Wright and is still displayed in Carillon Historical Park in Dayton, Ohio.